Laser Hair Removal
Lasers are combating excess, unwanted hair and effectively removing it much faster, more reliably and more comfortably than other standard methods like electrolysis, shaving and tweezing. They have proven to be a giant step forward in hair removal technology. Excessive hair growth is the result of heredity, hormonal factors, and some medications. Commonly treated areas are the face, back, neck, legs, bikini line, chest and underarms.
Any skin area can be treated except eyelids. For optimal results Encompass Medical Group suggests an initial series of three treatments four weeks apart. Encompass Medical Group laser hair removal treatment utilizes a laser beam to target the pigment located in hair follicles. Flashes of intense pulsed light cause thermal injury to the hair follicle, stunting hair growth, causing the unwanted hair to fall out, while avoiding damage to the normal surrounding tissue. The laser offers a cooling device that automatically cools on contact to protect the skin while directing the laser energy to the hair follicle.
About Hair Removal
- Laser technology has been in use for the last eight years internationally.
- Laser Hair removal is the most practical and efficient, least painful and expensive professional method of hair removal.
- Each pulse treats an area about the size of a dime.
- Treatments are performed by a certified laser practitioner.
- Pulse feels like a warm sharp rubber band snap.
- It is necessary to re-treat because hair is not disabled in its resting phase.
Normal hair goes through a growth cycle in three stages: the anagen, or growing phase; the telogen, or resting phase; and the catagen, or transitional phase. During the anagen phase, hair is susceptible to the laser’s energy, but during the telogen and catagen phases, it is resistant.
There are no noticeable after effects
Indications For Treatment
- Excess/unwanted hair
- Any skin type
- All hair colors
FDA clearance for safety and effectiveness achieved in 1997.
Before Hair Removal Treatment
- No UVB exposure for seven (7) days prior to treatment.
- Sign the procedure consent form.
- Hair in the area of treatment will be shaved or closely clipped.
- An anesthetic cream will be applied to the area.
- The target area will be marked on the skin and charted.
- Lip rolls will be used between teeth and gums for hair removal in lip area.
- You will notice the cooling spray from the laser – try not to flinch as it may feel cold and alerting.
- The treatment will take 30-60 minutes based on the size of the treatment area.
- Photographs will be taken so we have comparisons in the chart.
- Multiple treatments are required over several months.
After Hair Removal Treatment
- Treated area may look red, slightly puffy - redness fades within 24 hours.
- May feel like a mild sunburn for a day or so; may apply ice.
- We will apply ice packs after treatment.
- Return to normal activity.
- Gentle cleansing and sun block are important while the skin is sensitive.
- No trauma to the treated area – no hot baths, aerobic exercise, massage, hot tubs, etc.
- No UVB exposure for seven (7) days.